Our Unique Journey

I am the blessed mom of three loving children and am married to a great man. All my life I have been surrounded by a loving family.

Our life took a dramatic turn when my husband was injured on a combat mission on his 19th tour to Iraq. The helicopter he was piloting suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure. Thankfully his years of training allowed him to do what was necessary to land a disabled aircraft as best as humanly possible. Both he and his copoilot suffered broken backs and Gary instantly had some paralysis. After surgery in Germany, he was permanently paralyzed below the waist

I decided to start this blog not because our lives are partiularly interesting but because it feels to good to have a place to express our challenges and triumphs.



Thursday, January 13, 2011

How we got here.

Growing up I knew I wanted to be a wife and a working mom.  Never did I imagine I would marry a military man.  I married my husband in April 1991 while he was a young Army helicopter pilot stationed at Fort Ord, California.  We built a beautiful life and have three awesome children.  Allyssa is 24 and will be graduating from The Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in Los Angeles in March.  Kylie, 18, attends the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and Hayden is a Junior in high school.  We enjoy spending time together laughing, playing games and making good food.

I have been selling real estate for about 12 years and I enjoy working with great people.  Helping people reach their real estate goals is very rewarding.

Gary was an awesome soldier.  After 23 years of service Gary retired as a Chief Warrant Officer Five (CW5) in August of 2010.  He spent the last 13 years of his career with the elite 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment--the Night Stalkers.  At the time of his accident he was at the top of his game as a Flight Lead with B Company flying the Ah-6 Little Bird helicopter.  He loved every minute of it.  Gary is now working as a civilian on the 160th Compound.  He trains pilots in the helicopter simulators. 

After the helicopter crash on May 31st, 2008, Kylie was involved in a head on collision on February 5th 2009.  She suffered a broken femur and her knee cap was broken into three pieces.  After over a year of rehabilitation she is doing well.   We have tough cookies at our house! 

We've come a long way since Gary's life changing crash.  The journey has been documented at www.caringbridge.org/visit/garylinfoot.  Our daily life is full of ups and downs but unlike the early days after the injury of mountains and canyons our journey has settled down to something similar to the rolling hills of Tennessee.   Through this blog, you can take the journey with us if you would like.

19 comments:

  1. Mari, this is great. I am so proud of you and Gary and your great kids and so honored to know you! All of you inspire me to appreciate my life and my family and not to complaim about the little things in my life that may aggrevate me. Keep up the good work! Love all of you! Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will stop signing in on Caringbridge and will stop by over here if that's okay.
    Praying right now!
    Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers!
    Psalms 17:6-7 I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech. Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lifting up prayers!
    II Corinthians 1:3-5 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  5. What comforting verses! Praying!
    Psalms 23:1-3 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying in Seattle!
    Psalms 23:4-6 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  7. Know that you're always in my thoughts and prayers!
    Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid...for the LORD thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have such amazing eyewitness testimony of Jesus and just a fraction of what He did while He was visibly present here on earth. Look only to Him! Praying!
    1 John 1:1-4 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ. And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  9. Know that you're in my thoughts and prayers right now!
    Psalms 28:6-7 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  10. Continuing to pray hard for your family!
    Psalms 28:8-9 The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed. Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up for ever.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are always safe when we're in the Lord's Hands! Praying!
    Psalms 31:5 Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  12. So did you give up on doing this already? Hope everything's okay and that you're just busy!
    Here praying as always!
    Psalms 18:28-30 For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness. For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall. As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Scriptures are full of such amazing and comforting passages. This is one of the best. Hope they are full of comfort for you and know I'm here praying!
    Job 19:25-27 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still praying hard in Seattle!
    Psalms 34:4, 6-7 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. (6-7) This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  15. Continuing to pray!
    Psalms 34:17-19 The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles. The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  16. Know that I'm always here praying!
    Psalms 116:6-7 The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me. Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lifting up prayers to the Only One who can answer!
    Psalms 4:8 I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  18. Praying in Seattle!
    Psalms 86:1-2 Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy. Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  19. Continuing to lift up prayers!
    Psalms 86:5-7 For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete